This post is sponsored by Maya Kaimal, thank you for supporting the brands that make delicious Cast Iron Keto recipes EPIC.
We’re back with another Indian recipe and man, is this one good! This Keto Vegan Tofu Vindaloo is PERFECT for entertaining multiple eating styles, think dinner party and family get-togethers, and is absolutely delicious.
To make this recipe SUPER easy we’re turning to one of our favorite Simmer Sauce brands, Maya Kaimal. We’re using their new Vegan Vindaloo Simmer Sauce in this recipe. Made with coconut milk, tomatoes, onions, spices, and serrano peppers this may just be one of my favorite sauces to have on hand for quick dinners.
Let’s get to the ins-and-outs of this recipe:
Is tofu keto?
Yes! Tofu can definitely be included on a keto diet. There are 1.6g net carbs per 100g serving of tofu. We do want to say that you should always try to source sprouted and organic tofu so that you avoid GMO’s which is very common in soy crops. Sprouted tofu also improves the digestibility. For this recipe, we’re using a super-firm tofu.
How to press tofu?
Even though we’re using super-firm tofu you’re going to want to press it to remove excess water. This allows the tofu to get crispy in the hot oil instead of just steaming. No one likes mushy tofu.
While there are tofu presses that you can pick up relatively cheap but we opt to simply place a cooling rack on top of a sheet pan, put the tofu on the rack, cover with another sheet pan, then plop something heavy like a dutch oven on top. Leave it be for 30 minutes or so before slicing and cooking. You’ll be amazed at how much water comes out!
Can I sub the vegetables for other ones?
Green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, hot peppers, asparagus, onion, tomatoes, turnip, and zucchini or squash work great in curries.
What should I serve this with?
You’ll want to serve the curry with cauliflower rice instead of regular rice for keto of course. We’ve provided a super easy and tasty recipe for a spiced cilantro cauliflower rice below! We also like some type of hot sauce, pickled onions, and sliced serranos, cucumbers, and fresh cilantro!
How long does curry keep?
You can keep curry for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. We love these meal prep bowls that are BPA free for storing perfectly portioned meals making them perfect for grabbing for lunch or meal-prepping for the week.
Maya Kaimal also has plenty of other awesome simmer sauces besides this Vegan Vindaloo as well if dairy isn’t an issue:
Each will have a bit different carb count but most are perfectly suitable for a low-carb diet.
You can find Maya Kaimal at most grocers, be sure to use this handy product locator on their website to search for stores near you!
indian, main dish, vegan, ketomain dishIndianYield: 4Author: Alex
Keto Vegan Tofu Vindaloo
This Keto Vegan Tofu Vindaloo is an easy weeknight dinner option that’s packed full of flavor. Made in partnership with our friends over at Maya Kaimal, their simmer sauces are the bomb!prep time: 30 Mcook time: 25 Mtotal time: 55 M
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil (algae, refined coconut, or avocado)
- 1 (14 oz) package extra-firm tofu, drained pressed and cut into 1” cubes
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jar Maya Kaimal Vegan Vindaloo Simmer Sauce
Spice Cilantro Cauliflower Rice:
- 1 (12oz) bag frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (same as above)
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 jalapeno, diced
How to cook Keto Vegan Tofu Vindaloo
- Start by pressing the tofu using a tofu press or simply placing a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet. Place the tofu on the rack then place another sheet pan over it and top with something heavy like a dutch oven (see post above for example image). Press for at least 30 minutes. Cut the tofu into large cubes.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil for the “rice” in a 10.5″ cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the garam masala and diced jalapenño to the pan. Cook for 1 minute then add in the cauliflower rice. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the “rice” is fluffy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Transfer to a serving dish and place somewhere warm.
- Add the 3 tablespoons of oil to the skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the tofu 3-4 minutes per side until golden. Add in the vegetables and cook an additional 5 minutes. Pour in the simmer sauce and cook another 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
21.3Created using The Recipes Generator
Source: Cast Iron Keto